Photo

ProcessLasso and enhancements Sound Quality.

• Please log in to reply
340 replies to this topic

#141 jeremy.collake

jeremy.collake

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:54 AM

Very much a newbie to this ...

Loaded test version - I have assigned Jplay to core 0, Fidelizer Pro to core 1 and other audio players ( eg. Foobar, Jplay Mini, BHE, Qobuz..)to 2 and 3. Assigned them all as games

No other config - Pro Balance enabled. Not sure if this is a particularly scientific config , what do you reckon ?? - but it sounds GREAT !  Quieter background - more life to sound - analogue-ish !! 

Want to buy this for Control/Audio PC - do I need to buy 2 server licenses ???

Great to hear another positive report ;). As our demo at https://bitsum.com/a..._probalance.php will show, ProBalance is definitely efficacious, and additional CPU affinity tweaks by advanced users can absolutely help to improve real-time performance.

When you buy an any server license you get workstation licenses included, so you simply need to buy a Server Edition license at the Audiophile purchasing page (which has a special discount), it's here: https://bitsum.com/p...er/audiophiles/

Bitsum Technologies - Home of Process Lasso - Real-Time CPU Optimization and Automation

Be Optimal. Be Bitsum.

#142 hillbear

hillbear

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:20 PM

Jeremy, thanks

Bought !

This is first day I have really had a chance to listen to my system with PL. It is like all the audio software ( Jplay - AO - Fidelizer Pro)  has now finally snapped into focus  - magic ! I have used absolutely minimal configuration (as in previous post) and let Pro Balance do its thing - It's VERY tempting to over-configure everything - but PB is a LOT smarter than me and it does a terrific job on its own.

I was a bit sceptical of how PL would make much difference to a system that was only running audio in the first place - but now I'm well and truly sold. Well done Jeremy !

#143 hillbear

hillbear

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:43 PM

Just a quick note - since installing PL, both my CPUs are now running about 5 degrees cooler !

#144 franran

franran

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:06 PM

hillbear, that's great that PL is such a great addition to your system! I also am very happy with my results.

Jeremy, I have recently been giving much attention to the NIC settings and the Lan connection between the pcs in my 2 pc streamer. Could you please give some information about any capabilities Process Lasso may have in optimizing these very important connections in our 2 pcs? Thanks

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.0 beta 18 / Jplay 6.2 / Fidelizer Pro / Process Lasso /

Bug Head Infinity Blade Version 7.18

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC PPA v4 usb card audio output >  Pachanko Absolution dual headed usb cable > Intona usb isolator > Pachanko RUR link > Recovery USB Reclocker > Pachanko RUR link  > SOtM dx-USB HD w/mBPS-d2S > Pachanko AES cable > Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 DSDse >

1) maxed out Woo WA2 > Beyerdynamic T1 w/ Forza Noir hybrid cable mod

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp <bi-amping> Monitor Audio Gold GX100 Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system  powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources with Ice Age Audio and Pachanko power cords.

Also use  Pachanko Reference SATA cables.

#145 jeremy.collake

jeremy.collake

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:19 AM

Thanks for the great testimonial hillbear, and thank you even more for your business!

I try to get to this thread at least a couple times a week. I hope everyone understands it's difficult for me to wear so many hats, yet still *personally* communicate with hundreds(?) of individuals per week. Sometimes my responses might come a day or two after the question is asked, or post made, depending on your timing. More often, I'm here to answer them virtually instantaneously.

@franran: You asked about Process Lasso and NIC optimization. Process Lasso currently has no settings for, and does not adjust in any way the network adapter settings. If I were to develop any time of network optimization tool, it would come as a distinct product, as that is too far from Process Lasso's core mission - and, frankly, it already has enough features ;).

p.s. I've created a new Audiophile sub-board at our forum: https://bitsum.com/f....php?board=47.0

Bitsum Technologies - Home of Process Lasso - Real-Time CPU Optimization and Automation

Be Optimal. Be Bitsum.

#146 hillbear

hillbear

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:04 AM

Pardon my thickness !

If I run 2 Jplay PCs, both  with Winserver2012 R2 - do I need 2 x server licenses  ???

Thanks

#147 jeremy.collake

jeremy.collake

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 11:27 PM

Hi Hillbear,

Yes, you do need 2 licenses for 2 servers. Once you get to a certain point, the Site License becomes the better value. If you want to email me at support@bitsum.com I can help you sort through the options and find the best value.

Thanks!

Be Optimal. Be Bitsum.

#148 thuanb

thuanb

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:37 AM

Thanks Jeremy for the latest version 8.6.
Windows 2016 Core + AO + JPLAY dual fanless PCs + Hysolid + Best Audiophile Voices

#149 jeremy.collake

jeremy.collake

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:56 AM

Thanks Jeremy for the latest version 8.6.

Any time ;). For version 9.0 I am going to try to make a marked improvement in the appearance of the graphs, spend some time on presentation. Lots to do, as always, but a steady march forward.

Be Optimal. Be Bitsum.

#150 bodiebill

bodiebill

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:08 PM

Can anyone explain the way the Process Lasso profiles/settings are (or are not) persistent? Especially the difference between 'current' and 'always'?

I would expect the latter to enforce the former, but that seems not to be the case.

Also, I would like to switch between 2 ini profiles, one for BHE and one for foobar2000 (both with AO, Fidelizer Pro and JPlay).

However, when I save these settings and reload them, some of the configurations are lost.

Also, when I exit and reload BHE, its priority setting is lost. So I have to manually re-apply the setting every time after I restart BHE, even when I stay in the BHE ini configuration.

Am I missing something? Just trying to understand the logic...

(fyi, I am still on the trial version.)

Vortexbox 2.3 / HDPlex Linear PSU / Streacom Control PC i7 16GB RAM / nameless audio PC i5 (or i7?) 8GB RAM / Server 2016 GUI / Audiophile Optimizer 2.20 / Fidelizer Pro / JPLAY 6.2 alt vs / Hysolid; HQPlayer; WTFplay / Lampizator Lite 7 DSD256 / Uptone Regen / Lightspeed Attenuator / Cayin A-88T (power stage only) / Spendor SP100 / 2x REL T5 / Taket H2 + TR2, Hifiman HE-6

#151 MrJohn

MrJohn

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:13 PM

I had the same experience until I uninstalled and reinstalled.  For whatever reason, it worked.

#152 franran

franran

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:56 PM

BodieBill:

If you are using Lasso and Fidelizer, you need to turn off Fidelizer's processor core assignment setting. It will override what you set up in Lasso.

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.0 beta 18 / Jplay 6.2 / Fidelizer Pro / Process Lasso /

Bug Head Infinity Blade Version 7.18

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC PPA v4 usb card audio output >  Pachanko Absolution dual headed usb cable > Intona usb isolator > Pachanko RUR link > Recovery USB Reclocker > Pachanko RUR link  > SOtM dx-USB HD w/mBPS-d2S > Pachanko AES cable > Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 DSDse >

1) maxed out Woo WA2 > Beyerdynamic T1 w/ Forza Noir hybrid cable mod

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp <bi-amping> Monitor Audio Gold GX100 Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system  powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources with Ice Age Audio and Pachanko power cords.

Also use  Pachanko Reference SATA cables.

#153 jeremy.collake

jeremy.collake

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:05 PM

Franran is correct in that you need to disable Fidelizer's own processor core assignment setting.

An alternate, less optimal, option is to use Process Lasso's 'Forced mode', near the bottom of the Options menu. This will cause it to forcibly re-apply process settings in the event they are changed by the process itself, or some external actor. It normally doesn't do this to prevent contention of the priority or affinity settings of a particular process.

Be Optimal. Be Bitsum.

#154 dtb300

dtb300

Beginner

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:11 PM

How I understand it is:  

Current - make changes now, lost upon reboot.  

Always - make changes now, kept after reboot.

Can anyone explain the way the Process Lasso profiles/settings are (or are not) persistent? Especially the difference between 'current' and 'always'?

#155 bodiebill

bodiebill

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:37 PM

Thanks MrJohn, franfran, dtb300,

I already had the Fidelizer Pro processor core assignment setting unchecked.

And also, I already had the forced mode checked, but also noticed that this sometimes becomes unchecked after a reboot.

So tonight I will try to un- and re-install...

Vortexbox 2.3 / HDPlex Linear PSU / Streacom Control PC i7 16GB RAM / nameless audio PC i5 (or i7?) 8GB RAM / Server 2016 GUI / Audiophile Optimizer 2.20 / Fidelizer Pro / JPLAY 6.2 alt vs / Hysolid; HQPlayer; WTFplay / Lampizator Lite 7 DSD256 / Uptone Regen / Lightspeed Attenuator / Cayin A-88T (power stage only) / Spendor SP100 / 2x REL T5 / Taket H2 + TR2, Hifiman HE-6

#156 jeremy.collake

jeremy.collake

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 03:05 PM

Yes, your understanding of Current and Always (persistent) is correct.

We kind of both jumped to the most likely answer that if you see any lack of Always/persistent to work, then it is probably caused by an external actor on the process.

However, that seems to not be the case in your report. If you do not see these setting changes appear to take place, or the rules seem lost, or the options lost, I want you to email me at jeremy@bitsum.com .

If the GUI doesn't properly show you the set rules, or save new changes to the right config file, it is *possible* this happens when a registry cleaner wipes our registry values out, which may be why a previous user saw something like this and a reinstall fixed it. So, if you have any of those dangerous registry cleaners active, disable them, or make sure they aren't hitting our registry keys.

p.s. In the latest beta, we've also added a new GUI startup script, 'pl.cmd', in the latest beta version, and optional add Process Lasso's install path to the system environment PATH variable. Thus, command line users (core mode users) can launch Process Lasso's GUI with a simple 'pl' command.

Be Optimal. Be Bitsum.

#157 jeremy.collake

jeremy.collake

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:14 PM

Added to the above post that the aforementioned, yet to be validated, bug report regarding apparent loss of Process Lasso settings could also occur if our registry keys were wiped out, e.g. by a registry cleaner. So, definitely be aware of any registry cleaning that is going on.

Please also keep in mind Bitsum's advice on registry cleaners

All in all, it may or may not apply to this case, I just thought I'd mention it since the user report sounded similar.

Be Optimal. Be Bitsum.

#158 bodiebill

bodiebill

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:03 PM

hi Jeremy,

I am not using any registry cleaners that I know of.

The good news is that, since un- and re-installing PL, the settings so far persist as expected, even after a reboot.

The only change I made is that I relocated the configuration ini file to c:\ (root directory) but I wouldn't think that has any relevance.

Thanks for your thorough and helpful reply!

#159 jeremy.collake

jeremy.collake

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:07 PM

Great!

I've got the QA team, and myself, checking into scenarios where the loss of the 'custom INI path' may occur, just in case it's relevant here.

One note for *everyone*, which I am adding to the guide:

If you set a custom path, be *sure* the logs and INI file are not in the *same* folder. They can be in a subfolder of the same folder, but not the same. Why? Because every time the logs are written to, they will trigger a file system change notification event on that folder that in-turn causes Process Lasso to check to see if the INI file was changed. It's not a biggie, but just best recommended practice.

Be Optimal. Be Bitsum.

#160 BernieK

BernieK

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:30 AM

Hi Jeremy,

I aplogize if the answer to my question is obvious, but I'd rather err on the side of caution, and perhaps other forum participants might find the information helpful.

I'm running Process Lasso and alternating between three audio players: JPLAYmini, JPLAYStreamer and (Bughead) Infinity Blade SQ.

Currently, I use one set of CPU affinities (and one configuration file) for all three players. In this situation, some sharing of cores with other processes/players/servers is unavoidable.  This can result, as you have indicated in the audiophile manual, in a "bottleneck at the shared computational and cache units". I assume this "bottlenecking" could be lessened by having a specific set of CPU affinities (and an alternate configuration file) for each player in order to reduce sharing of cores.

However, it would be inconvenient to change the CPU affinities for the programs involved each time a different audio player was used. It would be much more convenient to have three different configuration files, one for each player.

Would alternate configuration files be created and used as follows? Change the CPU affinities to suit the player being used and then export the configuration file, renamed as, eg, JPLAYmini.INI, to a separate location. Then, when required, import that file from that location to change the current settings to those desired for JPLAYmini.

Thanks in advance, cheers,

Bernie

Control and Audio PCs

Dell Inspiron 15R SE laptops with Intel Core i7-3612QM (2.1 GHz) and 16 (Control-PC) or 8 (Audio-PC) Gb DDR3 1600 MHz RAM

Software

Windows Server 2016 with Audiophile Optimizer 2.20 b5 in virtual-core mode on Control-PC (via CAD Desktop Services Killer Script and stopping additional processes and services) and on Audio-PC (via CAD Windows 8.1 Optimization Script, CAD Desktop Services Killer Script and stopping additional processes and services); Bughead Infinity Blade 7.27; Fidelizer (7.4 Free on Control-PC, 7.6 Pro and 7.4 Free on Audio-PC); JPLAY 6.2 with ULTRAStream engine; JRiver MC19: DLNA Server; Upplay 1.2.8: Control Point; Process Lasso Server Edition 9.0.0.348; Q-Dir 6.57

Configuration

Control-PC > SUPRA Cat 8 Ethernet Cable > Audio-PC > Chord Silver Plus USB Cable > Uptone Audio Regen (Amber) > Curious Cable USB Regen Link > Luxman DA-06 > Chord Chameleon Plus XLR Interconnects > Luxman L-505u > Van Den Hul Teatrack Speaker Cables > Bryston Model T Signature Speakers with external crossovers

Music Storage

Samsung Story 2-Tb ext HDD (USB to Control PC) plus two 3-Tb Seagate backups

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users