Photo

ProcessLasso and enhancements Sound Quality.

• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#1 ciccio1112

ciccio1112

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Locationwww.avtek.it

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:50 AM

I tried yesterday ProcessLasso to see if I could improve even further the already impressive quality of my system, and I must say that there is no end to the improvements.

Further noise reduction and general improvements that I would like you to confirm.

It is a utility optimization and automation of the priorities of system processes and I must say that's a lot and effective.

I used the free version as server use windows server tecnical preview 2, but if you have a system with Windows 8.1 must use the workstation version.

In practice, here are the settings I used.

Among the functions that best lead to improvements there is the possibility to assign to a service process many and which use physical processors. Watch out for the best SQ should disable L 'HyperThreading to avoid the use of logical cores.

So I did so:

In active processes I have imposed infinity blade SQ using only the core 0-2-3 avoiding 1
Jplay on the contrary I said to use only the first so as not to be interfered with infinity blade.

Unfortunately I wanted to work fewer physical processors to infinity blade but with my amount of RAM I utilizzarne minimum 3, but someone managed to use of 2, cmq the rule is less processors are used the better.

Right-clicking on the programs which in our case I then set so.

Priority class in real time.
CPU affinity, it sets the processor to be used as above.
Priority I / O high
Profile energy-saving high performance

Tick ​​the limitations exclude from probalance- exclude SmartTrim. disable idlesaver

Tick ​​the standings as play.

Ensure that the core parking is disabled.

You can also enable the throttle but I have not tried it yet but it should already jplay.

If anyone would like to try places their impressions.

http://tweakvideo.altervista.org il   mio negozio: http://www.avtek.it

Il mio server audio singolo pc. Windows server 2019 + jplay 7 + ottimizzatore audiofilo 3.0 + fidelizer pro 8.4 

#2 emaspac

emaspac

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationRome, Italy

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:21 AM

I'm forced to use all cores (Intel i5) for Infinity Blade SQ, otherwise it Rewrites the memory forever.
I've Dirac installed, which uses a dedicated core, different from Jplay.
For the rest your settings work very well.
A specific & dedicated core for each audio sw in the chain should be the best setting.

Server: CAPS v4 Pipeline, SOtM tX-USBexp PCI, JCAT SATA Cable & Battery for OS SSD
SW: Win 2012 OS loaded in RAM, JMini + JPlay 6 + Dirac Live, ProcessLasso
PSU: Teradak ATX 210 LPS, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 2 Rails
DDC: Berkeley Audio Alpha USB  --->  Genesis Digital Lens (AT&T Fiber Out)
DAC: Wadia 2000 Digimaster (Sledgehammer Buffer, AT&T Fiber In)
Tube Amplifier: Leben CS-600 
Loudspeakers: Sony SS-A5 "La Voce"
Power Conditioners: Accuphase PS-510, UberBUSS (euro version), Einstein NF6020, Kemp Power Source+, Kemp Power Station 75, Clearaudio APG

#3 Miracle1980

Miracle1980

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:40 AM

If i use Foobar as server library and Jplaystreamer as render how would you ''optimize'' the core (i have a quad core cpu) for my scenario? I also use Hibernation mode with Jplaystreamer (in jplay settings), do you think that i still will have benefits using ProcessLasso?

Can it work together with Fidelizer?

Thanks

Single Audio PC with Windows 8.1 lite (optimized with CAD script, ProcessLasso and Fidelizer free). Player: Jplaystreamer.

Dac: Audio-Gd Nfb-7 - Amplifier: Roksan Caspian M2 - Speakers: Klipsch Cornwall 3.

#4 ciccio1112

ciccio1112

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Locationwww.avtek.it

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:36 PM

I think you would have some nice surprises.
Try the core 1 for jplay and uses the core 2 and 3 for foobar, if it does not work add to the core 4 to foobar. Still less physical cores are used the better.

I also remember to disable Hyper Threading in order to avoid the use of logical cores

Feel free to use the rest of settings that I wrote at the beginning thread

Update me on the results.

Il mio server audio singolo pc. Windows server 2019 + jplay 7 + ottimizzatore audiofilo 3.0 + fidelizer pro 8.4 

#5 ciccio1112

ciccio1112

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Locationwww.avtek.it

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:02 PM

fidelizer works perfectly.

#6 gonefishing

gonefishing

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:56 AM

Hi ciccio1112

I have installed process lasso  on my control PC,  now my control PC is also used for other tasks  and as a general workhorse for home activities. 

It's a powerful PC with the Intel 4770k  and 16 gigs of RAM  plus SSD drive.  I am connected with a dedicated nic  to my AudioPC  Windows server 2012 core mode  with audio optimiser.

On my control PC the CPU would hardly work  showing little more  processor usage  than  1%,  however  if someone came up and used the control PC in essence  use explorer to browse the Internet my music would stop.

Installing process lasso  I can go wild on the control PC  opening up hundreds  of tabs in Internet Explorer  executing word in Excel  and Outlook  while playing music there is absolutely no impact  to the AudioPC  while going crazy  on the control PC :-)

There is a big thumbs up from me  thanks very much I will definitely purchase this program.

Configuration I have dedicated core  to Jplay using the default core one and giving Jplay the highest priority for memory  and other easily configurable  options.

I do think BHE  can benefit as well  by giving it the highest priority  and lowering the priority  to all other  programs and  unrelated BHE services

you can make multiple  profiles  so it's easy to switch between best Jplay configuration  and BHE.  Major benefit for me  is that I can use my powerful PC and  pretty much partition it  as if I have a single PC dedicated for  music.

Music Server: Control PC Gigabyte C246 WU4, CPU Xeon Ram Samsung 2X8GB ECC, JPLAYfemto Ethernet, 2X4GB SSD music Library

Audio PC   Gigabyte C246 WU4, CPU Xeon Ram Hynix 4X4GB ECC, JPLAYfemto Ethernet and USB (waiting arrival JPLAY USB XE)

Equipment: DAC PS Audio Direct Stream. Power Amplifiers Hypex NC400 (waiting arrival -  PURIFI 1ET400A)

Speakers Home construction speaker: Audio Nirvana single full range driver and 2X10 inch open baffle subs Speakers (Waiting arrival Quintet15 Horn1)

Cables: Speakers SlinkyLinks, Interconnects Homemade Silver wire XLR, Power Eichmann cables, USB Wireworld Starlight 7 1.5m, SATA Standard, Ethernet CAT8 

Software: Server 2019 core mode, using Firadisk on 8GB VHD, JPLAY Dual PC, Audio Optimizer 3, Minority Clean

Power suppliesPS Audio Power plant P5, HD Plex 200Watt, HD Plex DC to DC and 4 X iFi power X 5 volt DC

Incoming AC power: Dedicated 30amp AC, Eichmann eXpress Power cables, iFi Audio PowerStation

Accessories: USBe Perfect, USB stick SanDisk extreme to load Firadisk on 8GB VHD

#7 franran

franran

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:46 AM

I am still very much in experiment stage but I now have Process Lasso running on both my pcs. The big thing is now I have been able to get Lasso to run IN CORE MODE on my audio pc!. Be advised I am a novice and these are preliminary settings.

For audio pc in core mode(i7 processor)

The key is to do a reinstall and set it up as described by Jeremy, the author of Lasso. I have an ongoing email thread as he is interested in what we are doing. He said:

"The Task Scheduler service is used by Lasso to start itself at user login, but is otherwise not a requirement. In such a scenario, one could set the Governor (core engine) to start as a service (an install option for the server edition or see 'Options / General / Reconfigure the way Lasso starts'). The GUI could be launched manually, as necessary, by the user. So this shouldn't be a blocker to using Lasso."

I went into gui and did a reinstall. I put pc back in core mode and ran ProcessLasso.exe from the Process Lasso directory in the Program files directory. The control panel came up and I was able to make my settings.

Jplaysettings Highest priority etc.... hyperthread to cores 0, 2, 4, 6 and classify as game(i7 processor)

Fidelizer same priorities etc.....assign cores 1, 3, 5 classify as game(not sure about this one)

Fidelizer will push everything else to 7

Run AO...do not disable drivers and services.

When restart is complete go run ProcessLasso.exe again. The control panel will not come up but you can see Lasso running with task manager. I had really nice sound improvement from getting this to work

***for control pc in gui(i5 processor):

To change settings identify process line in Lasso control panel and right click on it.
Assume you have 4 core cpu. Put Jplay on core 1, BH on core 0 and 2. Fidelizer will work as the janitor to put every thing else on core 3 automatically.
Put Jplay, Bug Head on game mode, high priority, high I/O, performance power scheme, excluded from pro balance, never let it sleep, Also put Fidelizer on highest priorities.
However, you should manually put other MS service on core 3 in low priority I/O, idle, and power save management scheme.
Note: I have found that Fidelizer works best on my control pc with Lasso if I put it in Network transport mode and customize settings to enable everything except launch media player with optimizations. The Fidelizer media player optimization on my machine causes Bug Head to hangup on rewrite before playback.  As always, YRMV   ;)

This is a very preliminary setup. I will invite Jeremy from Process Lasso and AudioPhil from AO to participate and offer more informed.insights and settings suggestions. I apologize for this makeshift post that has copies and pasties from other posts of mine ;)

• Odie992000 likes this

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20 / Jplay 6.2 / Fidelizer Pro / Process Lasso /

Bug Head Infinity Blade Version 7.23

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Jcat Femto usb card >  iFi Gemini 3.0 cable > iFi Igalvanic3.0 > Pachanko RUR link > iFi Micro iusb 3.0 reclocker > iFi mercury 3.0 cable  > Singxer SU1 i2s > Wireworld Silver HDMI cable > Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2V2 DSDse >

1) maxed out Woo WA2 > Beyerdynamic T1 w/ Forza Noir hybrid cable mod

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp <bi-amping> Monitor Audio Gold GX100 Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system  powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources with Ice Age Audio and Pachanko power cords.

Also use  Pachanko Reference SATA cables.

#8 jeremy.collake

jeremy.collake

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 05:06 PM

Thank you all for your interest in Process Lasso! I am it's author.

It's great to hear people find new uses for, and benefits from, Process Lasso. Of course, you aren't the first Audiophiles to find it efficacious, I just haven't really focused much on the Audiophile community in my marketing. Process Lasso has been around for over 10 years now, it's just that we don't actively market it as well as we should.

Any questions or problems anyone has, just let me know. I'll also post here as we advance capabilities in this area.

Special thanks to Franran for reaching out to me and inviting me here.

• emaspac and ciccio1112 like this

Bitsum Technologies - Home of Process Lasso - Real-Time CPU Optimization and Automation

Be Optimal. Be Bitsum.

#9 franran

franran

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 30 May 2015 - 05:14 PM

Hi Jeremy,

Welcome to our forum. I'm sure you will get much input and many questions from this bunch. :) We are excited to know you will be putting attention on the audio applications of your very versatile and powerful process management tool.

Let us know any "experiments" you might want us to run. ;) I think this thread is about to gain more interest as many audiophiles are just becoming aware of Lasso. I learned of your program over on the Bug Head Emperor thread which is highly active.

Thanks

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20 / Jplay 6.2 / Fidelizer Pro / Process Lasso /

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Jcat Femto usb card >  iFi Gemini 3.0 cable > iFi Igalvanic3.0 > Pachanko RUR link > iFi Micro iusb 3.0 reclocker > iFi mercury 3.0 cable  > Singxer SU1 i2s > Wireworld Silver HDMI cable > Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2V2 DSDse >

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp <bi-amping> Monitor Audio Gold GX100 Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system  powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources with Ice Age Audio and Pachanko power cords.

#10 goldengate

goldengate

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSanta Clara, CA

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:40 PM

Thanks everyone for the Lasoo tips. While every PC is unique, I find these suggestions very helpful as a general roadmap. One thing I am a little bit concerned with is  with Fidelizer Pro and Lasoo how are conflicting optimizations sorted out between programs. Does one program have explicit priority? I like Fidelizer as a general optimizer but really like Lasoo's interface where you can dial things in at a granular level.

Infinity Blade SQ continues to sound wonderful. I'm suprised when some folks say that can't hear any difference between BH and other players. It's night and day to me. I keep going back to HQ Player to see if I'm missing something. Nope. I enjoy Infinity Blade in "normal" mode far more than I do HQ Player with DSD upsampling. Not getting rid of HQ Player but I'm addicted to BH.

• franran likes this

Digital System:

Cybershaft Premium>Antelope Liveclock>Focusrite RedNet D16 > Benchmark AES Cable > Mutec MC-3 + USB > Benchmark AES Cable > Schiit Yggdrasil

#11 Odie992000

Odie992000

Beginner

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:23 PM

Welcome Jeremy to join us in Audiophile journey with the new exploration use of Process Lasso.

It is a long ago since 2012 when I join Process Lasso family for using Process Lasso in audio application.

#12 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:52 PM

Welcome to the forum, Jeremy. Really appreciate your advice via emails. Fran, it's a great idea to invite the PLP developer here. I feel we've just merely scratched the surface of this wonderful program which has much potential. Somebody said this is a great year for computer audio, and I can't agree more. Thanks Fran for helping us, via postings and/ or emails.
WS2019 ServerDaterCenter 10.0.17763.1282, dualPC, AO3 - 1A/2D, Fidelizer Pro 8.6, JPLAY Femto, BubbleUPnP.

#13 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:02 PM

Thank you ciccio for opening this awesome thread and sharing your settings. Even though my control and audio PCs have been PLP optimized nearly half way, I already enjoyed the benefits: tighter bass, lower noise floor, sharper focus, faster starts/stops, higher awareness of what goes before, during, and after a track plays.
WS2019 ServerDaterCenter 10.0.17763.1282, dualPC, AO3 - 1A/2D, Fidelizer Pro 8.6, JPLAY Femto, BubbleUPnP.

#14 franran

franran

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:59 PM

I need to update my findings of running Process Lasso on an audio pc in a streamer with AO. You still need to install Lasso as described above(post #7). I need to be in WS202/AO gui to do this. I am sure there are some who can do it from command line.

After install you do not need to run Lasso in gui mode to get the display/control panel. Go to core mode.It will come up in core mode before you run AO optimizations. Once you run AO optimizations, the program will run from ProcessLasso.exe but it will not display control panel. If you run service tool and restore all drivers and services, then run ProcessLasso.exe, the control panel will come up. Then run AO again. You CAN disable drivers and services and still have Lasso run.

In short, the Process Lasso control panel will only come up in core mode before you run AO optimizations. Something in the AO optimizations inhibits it. The program is running and applying your settings.The good news is Jeremy and AudioPhil are working together on this and further integration of Lasso and AO! Thanks guys and good luck

For Jeremy: Would it be better to run processgoverner.exe than ProcessLasso.exe when running in core mode? I have not tried that yet.

#15 Radiohead99

Radiohead99

Beginner

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:58 AM

I just tried Process Lasso on my tricked out dedicated music server with windows server 2012 using HQP. The improvement in sound quality was immediate and obvious. I'm very happy!!

#16 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:59 AM

Process Lasso Pro in core mode, AO 1.31b11b: very pleasant sounding. The effect is similar to having a pretty good new piano, playing it for a few months, then tuning it up. Listening to familiar vocal tracks, especially a capella ones, is like listening to the group of singers who have just come back from a vacation: fresh, more energetic, cleaner, clearer, deeper stronger bass, blacker background. Not only the sound of music can be heard more clearly, but also discernible are the vocal activities during fractions of a second before, during, and after the song played. Sibilance, instead of completely gone, now can be heard in a much more pleasant manner; sounds like "s", "sh", etc. now are presented much more naturally, almost like the performers are singing in front of you, intimately.

As always, it's the teamwork of AO, JPLAY, BHE, FP, and PLP softwares, the talented developers, and passionate audiophile participants in this forum. Kudos to each and every of you.
  • franran and ciccio1112 like this

#17 franran

franran

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:29 PM

Thuan, I see from your post that Phil has released a new version of AO to support Process Lasso in core mode. I will try it tonight when I get home from work. That's quick work by Phil. Hopefully now the Process Lasso display will come up in core mode after AO optimizations are run.

Nice that Radiohead99 like the Lasso. Damn, I may play some Radiohead tonight in his honor. Haven't heard them on my system in a while. :)

• Radiohead99 likes this

#18 JazzDoc

JazzDoc

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:40 PM

Thuan, I see from your post that Phil has released a new version of AO to support Process Lasso in core mode. I will try it tonight when I get home from work. That's quick work by Phil. Hopefully now the Process Lasso display will come up in core mode after AO optimizations are run.

Nice that Radiohead99 like the Lasso. Damn, I may play some Radiohead tonight in his honor. Haven't heard them on my system in a while. :)

Process Lasso does indeed run in Core Mode. Nice one Phil!

I followed Phil's instructions and installed the server version of Process Lasso. When I ran the workstation version for a few days, a message appeared on boot saying that some fetaures would expire in the trial mode. The cost of buying the server edition is considerable. $32.95 for workstation, $165 for server (annual upgrade cost). I really don't understand what Process Lasso does. Can anyone come in and confirm the need for server edition (Perhaps AudioPhil himself)?

Acer Windows Server 2019 (x64) Laptop (Intel i5/8GB) (Control PC) / Lenovo Windows Server 2019 (Intel i5/8GB) (Audio PC) / Audiophile Optimizer 3.00 (GUI Mode on both PCs)  / JPlay Femto, JPLAY Femto Streamer /  Process Lasso Server Pro / Fidelizer Pro 8.5 / Singxer SU-1 S/PDIF Converter / Paul Pang Switch, ifi iPower / Uptone Audio USB Regen, ifi iPower / Naim Audio nDAC with DSD Firmware Update / Naim Audio XPS / Linn Sondek LP12, Naim Audio Armageddon, Naim Audio ARO, Linn Troika / Naim Audio CDS2, Naim Audio XPS / Naim Audio NAT02 / Naim Audio NAC52, Naim Audio Supercap, Naim Audio NAP250 / Naim Audio SBLs

#19 Thuan

Thuan

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:41 PM

Oh no, not yet Fran.  I could install PLP in core mode on command line but for us to SEE it in action and change the settings, AO still needs to be reset I think.  The latest AO however lets us run PLP even with drivers and services disabled.

#20 franran

franran

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:22 PM

Yes, there was a miscommunication about a new AO version. Phil gave me instructions to try and I will post if my results are favorable.

Jazzdoc, I will try to find out about license. I am using a server version as I am testing things out with Jeremy and Phil. I know that is a considerable amount of money. We have our own special application of this software so perhaps something more reasonable will evolve. Stay tuned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users