• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 xavaudio

xavaudio

Beginner

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:33 PM

Marcin, Could you give us your vision of the audio quality upgrade against the JCAT usb standard ? It seems to Be the perfect companion of the JCAT usb card by using the 2 outputs simultanously.... Xavier

#2 Rainer Weber

Rainer Weber

Beginner

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:25 PM

Hi Xavier,   I have this USB reference together with the Jcat USB card. I feed a Sonicweld DiverterII going to a Thrax Maximinus DAC (I will upgrade to TotalDAC D12 soon).   All I can say that this is a big improvement - I had the standard Jcat USb cable before. I also upgraded the LAN cable with the newest one.   It is much more black background and the focus is better. This is what we usually see when we reduce the noise levels on the USB connection.   Regards   Rainer Weber
dedicated Control PC with Pang linear PSU, Pang ethernet cable, Pang SATA cable direct connection to Audio PC dedicated Audio PC with Server 2012 – 8 GB RAM – Asus MB – Pang linear PSU Adnaco S3A powered with Paul Hynes linear shunt regulator PSU Pang USB cable Sonicweld Diverter HR2 Acrolink D5050II ditial cable Totaldac reclocker Enklein Orion XLR cable Thrax Maximus DAC (has MSB Diamond OEM modules inside) Thrax Dionysos Preamp Thrax Spartacus Mono Amps Kaiser Kawero Speakers Interconnects are all Enklein Aeros XLR Power Leads are VertexAQ Hires + on the PC and the linear power supplies Power Leads on the system are Enklein Taurus (with VertexAQ Hires Taga power distributors – 2 pieces) Speaker cables are new prototyps

#3 Rainer Weber

Rainer Weber

Beginner

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:26 PM

I see that I need to update my signature regarding the equipment I currently use. Will do that later.   Rainer
dedicated Control PC with Pang linear PSU, Pang ethernet cable, Pang SATA cable direct connection to Audio PC dedicated Audio PC with Server 2012 – 8 GB RAM – Asus MB – Pang linear PSU Adnaco S3A powered with Paul Hynes linear shunt regulator PSU Pang USB cable Sonicweld Diverter HR2 Acrolink D5050II ditial cable Totaldac reclocker Enklein Orion XLR cable Thrax Maximus DAC (has MSB Diamond OEM modules inside) Thrax Dionysos Preamp Thrax Spartacus Mono Amps Kaiser Kawero Speakers Interconnects are all Enklein Aeros XLR Power Leads are VertexAQ Hires + on the PC and the linear power supplies Power Leads on the system are Enklein Taurus (with VertexAQ Hires Taga power distributors – 2 pieces) Speaker cables are new prototyps

#4 tonymt

tonymt

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:05 AM

Rainer Weber said:

Hi Xavier,

I have this USB reference together with the Jcat USB card. I feed a Sonicweld DiverterII going to a Thrax Maximinus DAC (I will upgrade to TotalDAC D12 soon).

All I can say that this is a big improvement - I had the standard Jcat USb cable before.

I also upgraded the LAN cable with the newest one.

It is much more black background and the focus is better. This is what we usually see when we reduce the noise levels on the USB connection.

Regards

Rainer Weber

I second Rainer Weber.

I have jcat USB card, had Standard USB & Lan cables, and thought that should be the ultimate. The jcat Reference USB & Lan cables stunned me.

I'm in dual PC streaming mode, with jcat USB card going into Auralic Vega.

I first replaced the jcat Standard Lan cable with jcat Reference Lan cable. The difference to my ear is bigger than when I changed mt DAC from Offramp Turbo Clock + Metrum Octave to Auralic Vega. The bass goes much deeper, the come and go is so fast and effortless but never 'stays' which means never to be felt boomy. The instruments and vocals are surrounded by rich ambience and resonance that separated very clear from each, resulted in a well defined positioning in the well defined, and much bigger 3D sound stage. With my Stax SR-009, which I use to audition, the 'illusion' of sound stage goes at least a few feet away surrounding my head. Incredible without personally experience it.

Then I put on the jcat Reference USB cable. The already very dark background goes total black. With a few very good live recordings, something wasn't there comes out...a very light cough in the audience, one of the musicians is murmuring something.... Ever heard those different piano wires vibrate at the same time but can clearly distinguish them? Here it is. 

With these two new babies adding to the system, all my collection becomes new to me. Some busy days ahead.

The jcat Reference Lan cable been with me for just a week, and the jcat USB cable just 3 days. I look forward to further new findings which hopefully will then share it in this forum.

Tony
  • Thuan likes this

#5 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:18 AM

Tony, Rainer - thanks for the reports! I'm glad you share my enthusiasm for the Reference cables :) Cheers, Marcin

JPLAY for iOS: the new reference hi-fi app. 

JCAT: streaming specific products for high-end audio

Join Computer Audio Enthusiasts group on facebook

#6 xavaudio

xavaudio

Beginner

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:24 PM

Thanks all,   i think i must order one !   Regarding Lan Cable, i haven't test the JCAT one…. i'm running with local assembled cable (french web vendor)   "http://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/cables-audio-cables-ethernet/audiophonics-cable-patch-reseau-rj45-ethernet-highend-cat-10m-p-7175.html"   for 60 €, very well build and stellar sound (for me)… the RJ connector are the same as audioquest high grade cable….   Xavier

Edited by xavaudio, 12 November 2014 - 09:29 PM.

#7 Mike Gillespie

Mike Gillespie

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:41 AM

A basic question.  I've got a JCAT USB board in my Audio PC.  Which USB outlet on the JCAT board takes the data cable and which takes the power cable?     Also, has any one tried using an iFi USB with either this double JCAT cable?  And if yes, were you using JCAT USB card as well?   Thanks.

#8 CAPTCALV

CAPTCALV

Beginner

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 12:09 PM

Hello Mike, I use an iFi USB sandwiched between two Gemini cables running from a JCat USB card. I can notice a very clear, definite improvement in sound from just using one Gemini cable minus the iFi USB. I need to move my PC to another part of the room so need a 3 metre cable. I have ordered a Forza Audio Twin USB cable for this purpose, as 1 metre JCat cables are no use to me, and the maximum length of Gemini is 1.5 metres. The chances are that using iFi USB with two JCat Reference cables would be outstanding.   I will let you know if the Forza cable is better or worse than Gemini when it arrives.

#9 Adrian

Adrian

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:30 PM

Guess they are like the one from Pang:

Posted Image
Red cble is the usb power,
Black cable is the DATA+.DATA-.

#10 Mike Gillespie

Mike Gillespie

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:52 PM

Thanks, Adrian and CaptcalV, but Adrian, on the JCAT USB card, there are 2 usb outlets, one top, one bottom.  Which of the USB outets get the red (power) cable and which gets the black (data)?     Or does it not matter?   Thanks.

#11 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:06 PM

Does not matter

#12 supasound

supasound

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:37 PM

Hello, I do not get it. From Squeezebox Touch to PS Audio Directstream - is dual lead reference cable superior to jcat standard cable? What to do with the second connector?   Thank you very much for answer.

#13 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:41 AM

Yes, it's superior even if you use just a data lead, but it will work only with DACs that do not need power from USB, otherwise both plugs need to be connected

#14 jamiee

jamiee

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:58 PM

Marcin, out of curiosity - how much for a 1.5m or 2.0m length cable?

Thanks /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

#15 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:37 PM

1.5m or 2m is 50EUR extra.

#16 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:00 PM

Our JCAT Reference USB cable gets 'Greatest Bits' award on AudioStream! :)

http://goo.gl/QTfmCx

#17 WonkaBar

WonkaBar

Beginner

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:45 PM

Congrats! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

JPlay  /  Kinsky  /  AudioPC - i5, 8G, SSD, Win10, Total Commander  /  NAS - Synology DS211+

JKenny JKDAC32 

#18 Lambretta

Lambretta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 18 April 2015 - 04:03 PM

Hi.

Replacing my Nordost Blue Heaven Usb cable I could compare a burnt in Acoustic Revive 1.0-USB SPS with a two week old Jcat Reference USB cable. Equipment is Auralic Aries streamer, Vega Dac, Taurus Pre and Merak mono blocks with Dynaudio speakers. Transport is Mac Mini with Minimserver using Jcat Reference LAN to my wireless 5G router.

Build quality on the Acoustic Revive cable is rock solid and the cable is a bit stiffer. I was switching theese two cables between the Aries streamer and Vega Dac for some time. Timbre is more natural and rich playing the Jcat Reference. Voices sounds more real. The Acoustic Revive will be returned. Thanks Marcin, for making stunning cables.

Power Cables: Lessloss DFPC Reference, Signature & Original - Conditioners: Lessloss Firewall w. Oyaide C079 -Source: Auralic ARIES streamer + Auralic VEGA Dac - Pre: Auralic TAURUS PRE - Power: Auralic MERAK x 2 - Signal Cables: Lessloss Homage to Time XLR - Speaker Cables: Lessloss Homage to Time - Speakers: Dynaudio Excite X34 - Digital Cables: Jcat Reference USB/LAN - MinimServer: Mac Mini with 2TB WD Passport FW 800, Audioquest Carbon FW. Power Distributor: Furutech e-Tp60

#19 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• Administrators
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:05 AM

Great to hear! :) Acoustic Revive 1.0-USB SP (first model) was the first audiophile USB cable I tried and was convinced USB cables make a very noticable difference. That was 4 years ago :)

Cheers, 

Marcin

#20 rickmcinnis

rickmcinnis

Beginner

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:19 AM

Have ordered the USB card and am wondering about your USB cables.

If one does not use power from USB is the REFERENCE still a better cable than the standard?

AND, if one wants a longer length are these kept in stock or is there time needed to fabricate?

Can't wait to hear what that card will do.

Thanks and take care,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users