Please try adjusting the following options in BIOS:

- SATA AHCI LPM - set to disabled

- SATA SMART - set to disabled

- Hot Plug - set to disabled

Let me know how it goes!

Regards, 

Marcin

Hi Marcin,

Just returned from my friend's place. The JCAT SATA v1 cable was less problematic following a couple of reboots.He wants to see if it lasts.He was concerned that changing the BIOS settings may impair the sound quality so leaving things alone for now.

He is reluctant to buy further JCAT products based on this experience.I do agree it is an expensive gamble.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions

Cheers

David

#82 ellisdj

ellisdj

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:25 AM

disabling things in he bios normally improves the sound - just so he knows 

#83 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:58 PM

Hi David, 

Thanks for the info. There is no gamble as one can return the products within 2 weeks for a full refund

Regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

JPLAY FEMTO: a complete network music software player for the most demanding audiophile.

Want to squeeze more from your PC-audio? Hear the difference with JCAT

#84 Audiophile Neuroscience

Audiophile Neuroscience

Beginner

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:29 PM

Hi David, 

Thanks for the info. There is no gamble as one can return the products within 2 weeks for a full refund

Regards, 

Marcin

Hi Marcin

Ah that is good to know and reasonable. Still, people do sometimes order parts when building a server and do not get around to immediately completing the build for whatever reason. In this particular case it could be argued the SATAv1 is inherently flawed (notwithstanding BIOS tweaking or workarounds) and should be replaced, at least have a 12 month warranty. It is of course up to you what customer service orientation you choose.It is of course up to the customer whether that makes them feel confident in purchasing or creates brand loyalty.

Cheers

David

• Marcin_gps likes this

#85 highstream

highstream

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:02 AM

Last week, I received a Thermaltake F31 Suppressor case and ASRock Z97 Extreme6 mobo, and the cable (v.1) worked...up to a point. Three problems:

1) There's a slight crack in the plastic on near the end of one connector and the plastic is leaning in a tad, so getting a good connection on the pin underneath is tricky; not surprising, given how much I've had to disconnect and reconnect it;

2) more important for the long run, the JCAT connectors do not grab the Sata port solidly like standard connectors do; and

3) the JCAT connectors are very long, in fact too long for easy connection with some boards and cases, which often means having to bend the cable sharply. For instance, trying to get it connected on the bottom side of the Thermaltake, where SSDs are designed to go, there isn't enough room for the long connector without modifying the case, and maybe not even then. While trying, I broke the plastic protector around the Sata pins on my system SSD ( --------| ).  After that, to make the JCAT work, I had to use Scotch tape and hang it outside the case. OTOH, a standard Sata connector with clamp grabbed the re-shaped pins solidly. To save time, I decided to buy another SSD, while I wait to hear what Samsung's repair shop says after looking at the first.  

#86 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:05 AM

UPGRADE PROGRAM

I've decided to introduce upgrade program for the JCAT SATA cable. 

If anyone would like to upgrade v1 to the latest JCAT SATA v2 model the cost is 99EUR including shipping the cable back to you. 

Please send an email on support if you're interested in this offer. 

Regards, 
Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

JPLAY FEMTO: a complete network music software player for the most demanding audiophile.

#87 SIMA66

SIMA66

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:57 PM

is there any audio difference between V1 and V2, or is just the compatibility?

#88 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:25 PM

There is a noticable improvement in SQ too, but not a night & day difference

Regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#89 SIMA66

SIMA66

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:49 AM

Last night I tried to replace PPA sata cable with JCAT V1 on my music SSD (not OS) and my PC got "crazy"!
It took more that 5 minutes to boot, then it was so slow that I could not play any music!
Interesting thing is that I could see my SSD in the PC, but could not open!
I tried the same and diferent sata ports.
Soon as I put the old sata back, everything works like usual!

When I read about some compatibility, I asumed that is the connection only. Either you plug in or you don't! It looks like perfect and good fit!

To me this doesn't make any sense!
Is there any explanation or solution for this problem?
  • SIMA66 likes this

#90 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:38 AM

Did you change motherboard or SSD?

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#91 SIMA66

SIMA66

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:00 PM

Did you change motherboard or SSD?

No, I just got the JCAT sata cable and try to insert in the existing system!

I have MSI H97M-E35 main board with TCXO clock upgrade and Toshiba Q-Pro SSD.

#92 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 05:50 PM

I know, I received an email from a customer who sold you the JCAT SATA v1 cable. The cable was purchased from us back in 2013. 

I suspect the cable might not be compatible with your motherboard. The JCAT SATA v1 cables were designed and tested with the motherboards/chipsets available at the time of release. It seems that some newer chipsets on some motherboards do not work properly with the v1 cables. That's why we released the v2 cables which are compatible with chipsets/motherboards offered today. There were no complains with the JCAT SATA v2 cable so far. 

What I can suggest is that you try connecting the cable to a 3Gbit SATA port if it's available on your motherboard and try these options in BIOS:

I'd also try connecting the cable in opposite direction. 

I hope this helps

If that does not work then I'm afraid that's that. 

Regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#93 SIMA66

SIMA66

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:27 PM

I know, I received an email from a customer who sold you the JCAT SATA v1 cable. The cable was purchased from us back in 2013. 

I suspect the cable might not be compatible with your motherboard. The JCAT SATA v1 cables were designed and tested with the motherboards/chipsets available at the time of release. It seems that some newer chipsets on some motherboards do not work properly with the v1 cables. That's why we released the v2 cables which are compatible with chipsets/motherboards offered today. There were no complains with the JCAT SATA v2 cable so far. 

What I can suggest is that you try connecting the cable to a 3Gbit SATA port if it's available on your motherboard and try these options in BIOS:

I'd also try connecting the cable in opposite direction. 

I hope this helps

If that does not work then I'm afraid that's that. 

Regards, 

Marcin

When you mentioned the direction, I checked to find anything to point to that, but there is nothing on the cable, no arrow, or anything else!

I will try the opposite way that I tried in the first place.

If nothing, I can still send to you for upgrading to V2.

Offer is still on the table, right?

#94 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:10 AM

Sure :)

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#95 SIMA66

SIMA66

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:45 PM

Then, I guess, I have no choice, since nothing works! :(

Thank you!

#96 SIMA66

SIMA66

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:31 AM

When I tried the V1, it was on my music SSD and with 2012 R2. Since my PC start to "get crazy", I switched back to my previous PPA sata cable and everything went back to normal. Never put back the V1.

Today I tried to use the WTF player with Linux OS and my same SSD (PPA sata) can't be seen at all!

R2 still works OK!

I disconnected, reconnected, but nothing!

Any idea what could happen with my SSD when I connected with V1 in the first place and what can I do to fix that?

#97 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:21 PM

Hmm, that's weird. I don't see how a cable's performance could vary. It either works or not. Are you sure it's not sth with your SSD or motherboard? 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

#98 SIMA66

SIMA66

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:01 PM

Hmm, that's weird. I don't see how a cable's performance could vary. It either works or not. Are you sure it's not sth with your SSD or motherboard? 

With R2 and PPA sata on my music SSD, my PC works the same way it did before trying the V1. No problem!

The only problem is now that the same SSD is not seen in the WTF player (Linux) and it was seen before testing V1!

Switching different SSd in the same place works!!!

I know that doesn't make sense, but it also did not make any sense to me that changing one sata cable on the music SSD (not OS) can freeze my PC!

#99 highstream

highstream

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:14 AM

Disappointed not to get a response about my defective JCAT Sata cable (probably at the connector), given that I first reported a problem with a good year and a half ago. Back then, it was passed off as an mobo incompatibility, when in all likelihood it was a defect that showed intermittently.

#100 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:43 AM

Please report the issue on support to get the connector replaced. Forum is not a proper channel 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users