104 replies to this topic

#1 joelha

joelha

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:05 AM

Well, I have to say that this hobby continues to surprise me.   I took what I thought was a pretty big gamble spending about $400 for a JCAT Sata cable.   $400 for a Sata cable? How much of a sucker was I for spending that kind of money on what appears to be a short length of wire?   As it turns out, I was no sucker at all.   I am more than just a little bit surprised at the results I achieved by installing this cable in my Audiopc.   In short, more of the music comes through. Soundstage is better, music is less harsh (not that I had thought it was harsh before), it's just that much more pleasant to listen to.   If it seems that I'm wrestling for words, it's only because when a sound becomes more natural, it's hard to describe the components of that experience.   In short, I'm very happy to have purchased this cable. A great product from JCAT.   Joel

#2 SIMA66

SIMA66

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

Joel,   I'm assuming that you compared with the the one that came with the case?

#3 joelha

joelha

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:12 AM

Definitely I compared. The JCAT cable was so clearly superior, I sat Iistening . . . stunned by the improvement. I'm not exaggerating. It's that good. Joel

#4 DaveOPS

DaveOPS

Beginner

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

Will there be an additional cable coming for SATA power based on PPA's SATA power cables, or any molex or ATX power leads?

#5 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

We'll think about it. It's a bit difficult as there is not standard of connectors on the other side of the sata power cable -  they're different depending on power supply model.  Cheers, Marcin 

#6 DaveOPS

DaveOPS

Beginner

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

Good point. One thing you could do is something similar to Core Audio's filtered cables that would connect off of the standard cables on the PSU leads. So 24-pin female to 24-pin male ATX, same for the +12V 4/8-pin cable, and maybe a molex female to 1 or 2 SATA power leads. Splicing in your power cables probably wouldn't be as effective as a direct connection to the PSU, but it would make them pretty much universal with any power supply.

#7 joelha

joelha

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

Just an addendum to my original post. I've just installed a Sata cable in my Controlpc at Marcin's suggestion. I have to say, I had my doubts as I had thought the whole idea behind having two pc's connected by a lan cable was to largely isolate the Controlpc's noise from the Audiopc. Boy was I wrong about that assumption . . . at least as regards this additional Sata cable. The difference that additional cable made was almost as great as that of the cable I had first installed in the Audiopc. I realize that buying two of these cables is no small investment. Yet, I would put the sonic change they offer on the level of upgrading a component. I'm looking forward to hearing from more people who have actually used this cable. This could be among the very best investments I've made in my system in years. Joel

#8 Mike Gillespie

Mike Gillespie

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:44 PM

I know Paul Pang makes the JCAT SATA.  How is the Jcat Sata cable different from Paul Pang's top of the line?  I think it's the Red model.

#9 kevalin

kevalin

Beginner

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:47 AM

The different with JCAT please refer to this link.
  • thuanb likes this

#10 ellisdj

ellisdj

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

I am interested in one of these cables - I have tried 2 different sata cables both cheap and one that has emi shielding sounded better than one without but not by a huge amount   Is there a return period if I am unhappy with it?  Such as 30 days or whatever? Where in the world would it need to be shipped back to if I was returning?

#11 Josef

Josef

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

Yes, there is two-weeks trial period, no questions asked full refund if not happy - This is valid for _all_ JCAT cables :) Shipping is to Poland.

#12 ellisdj

ellisdj

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

1 ordered – really looking forward to hearing it now – hoping / expecting big things based on the above, Paul pangs site and the price   How long is the turn around from order to shipping to the UK?

Edited by ellisdj, 01 November 2013 - 06:13 PM.

#13 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:58 AM

Hi ellisdj, Your cable will ship on Tuesday via UPS, so you should get it next week.   Cheers, Marcin

#14 kaka

kaka

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:38 AM

I have added a USB and a SATA cable to the system – and the gain in sound has been far better than I hoped for.

I was using either a Locus Nucleus USB (dynamic, detailed, a little too bright, string tone (violin and cello) not quite right) or a Oyaide (too restrained but good tone). I hoped the Jcat might bisect the pair of them and it did – good dynamics, not too bright and realistic string tone. Hooray!

My testing was with some really good 24/192 string material which I think sounds very much like the real thing. I have heaps of lead guitar but you can never quite be sure how that should come out. Fewer variables with acoustic instruments.

After a week of just the USB I added a sata to the control PC. I was surprised by the result – more detail and nuances. I've been re-exploring a lot of material, and the experience has been very cool. Bass lines are stronger and more explicit, and there is more subtlety across the board. Quite remarkable. I had been running audio signature 1A on both machines and couldn't live with the other combos for long. That could have changed now too.

But then we come to the audio PC, which is a compact passively cooled affair – one of these.

I had to move the OS disk and reorient it to get the Sata cable on it. The connector is longish compared with the usual ones, and the cable needs quite a bit of space to turn back on itself. I had to mount the drive on the bottom of the media shelf, orientated in a different direction to get the cable on. And 40cm was too much, it was looping around in the box touching several components. The ideal would have been perhaps 20cm with a right angle connector.

The machine came back with "no boot device" – the cable was in the right port but the pressure on the cable might have loosened one or other of the connectors. They slip on, but do not lock. After many attempts I tried it with the drives outside the machine, and no pressure on the cable to disturb the connectors. Still the same.

Tried the second sata. Same result.

Put the original cable back into exactly the same port. The machine fired up.

That was when I put one of the sata cables into the control PC, where it worked perfectly. It took a little time to get it in though – the connector length and somewhat rigid cable meant that the drive had to be moved well back in its bay, but then the thickness of the connector meant it couldn't be attached. The solution was three tap washers to space the drive away from the bay surface, and allow the connector on.

And sonically I am delighted, as already related.

I'm puzzled why I failed to get the audio PC to work, would have loved to have heard what it did. It would have been risky if it had worked anyway, as the cable contortions meant it was touching the heatshield that all the passive cooling piping comes off, so the cable might have either cooked or transferred a whole lot of heat directly to the drive once the machine heated up. 

Ideas most welcome!

Edited by kaka, 06 November 2013 - 10:58 AM.

Linear+battery power supplied machine - Roonserver, HQPlayer, AO, Fideliser, Process Lasso - Jcat USB board - Chord USB - Mutec reclocker on linear supply - Stereolab Tron spdif - Lampizator Big 7

#15 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

Thanks for the report! I'd try again in audiopc with ssd outside. If it works on controlpc, it must work on audiopc as well. Perhaps try with different SATA port on motherboard if you haven't yet. And make sure the connection is tight Cheers, Marcin 

#16 kaka

kaka

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

Will do that at the weekend, and will also try the second cable onto one of the music drives in the control pc - it has an OS drive (with jcat cable) plus music drives. 40cm cables are ideal for that machine, which is a tower.

Linear+battery power supplied machine - Roonserver, HQPlayer, AO, Fideliser, Process Lasso - Jcat USB board - Chord USB - Mutec reclocker on linear supply - Stereolab Tron spdif - Lampizator Big 7

#17 kaka

kaka

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:51 AM

Well it wasn't quite done at the weekend I have tried the Jcat Sata in three of the QuietPc (Audio machine) sata slots - and it came back with no boot device every time. That cable works just fine in the control PC - I have it on a music drive which has sharpened the sound up, still deciding if I like it (already have one on the boot drive in that machine) I have realised that the major difference between those machines is the control PC has Sata 2 ports, the audio machine is Sata 3. Is that my issue? The site does say 6 Gb/S compliant

#18 Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

JPLAY team

• Administrators
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

Are you sure contact was good? The cable does support SATA 6Gbps. But please check if you can switch to 3Gbps in BIOS on audiopc and if it changes anything. 

#19 kaka

kaka

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:42 AM

Sure was - it was done with the drives outside the machine, and no pressure on the cable. The bios doesn't offer Sata speed switching

#20 ellisdj

ellisdj

Die Hard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:06 PM

I must say this JCAT Sata is amazing! It's one of the best upgrades I have done in a long time - it's allowed me to hear much more clearly so I could get my settings correct with the new jplay beta. The sound is more full top to bottom between the speakers, more controlled and clearer. Stunning Am just in the process of selling a kidney in order to buy a USB as well ...... :) great stuff really happy here

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users